Tuesday, December 9, 2008

TWO Years

It is difficult to believe that we have just had our second arrival in America anniversary. I am so glad that we have more time, if we had not taken the third year we'd be packing up now and on our way home. In one sense that would not be bad, but in another I'd be dissapointed that our NY adventure was over.

I have had my days, weeks and yep even months where I would have cheerfully packed my suitcase and gone home. But over all it has been a good experience so far. This year, really since April we have been making new friends within the home schooling community and it is so nice to meet people that are like us. We find we might not have loads in common in terms of work/education or even life experience but we relate well and easily, have similar views on life and our families and we enjoy doing similar things together. It is nice not to feel like a freak so much these days.

I am planning on seeing 'Australia' tonight with another Aussie, so that might make me a little home sick, but I'll battle through. It has apparently not had great reviews here. I have heard that American's don't like long movies - imagine taking that many hours out of your life to watch a movie...ah well, I can take in that much Australia right now, so I'll probably find the time will fly and I'll be disapointed when it is over.

Winter is here - though not offically for another week or so, but snow and below 0 temps mean winter to me, so I say it HAS arrived. We have been skiing, but that is for another post. Skiing makes all the cold worth while, so I have little to complain about - how unusual.

I have been blogging like a woman possesed. Over 500 photos and about 30 or so posts in just a couple of weeks. I hope that you have been keeping up with me. I know it looks exhausting, and at times it was but it was over nearly 3 months so mostly all of those activities were loads and loads of fun. I certainly feel incredibly lucky to have experienced it all. D and I are doing things for the first time and I really don't think the children realise they are having a rather special and unique time right now. Life might not always be so grand! We do try to impart upon them the advantages they have over so many others and that they should try to appreciate that this is not 'normal' whilst tying not to do the "you were lucky...I had to live in shoe box by side of road, wake up before we went to sleep, lick road clean with tounge..." etc thing too much.

1 comment:

Josie said...

errr, Happy Anniversary! It has been terrific seeing all your blogs - you must be relieved to be up to date! J looks well - can see in her eyes that she is better! Wish we could go skiing here, but alas it is too warm! I am planning on taking the kids iceskating in the holidays which start next Monday. Planning to see Australia soon too - not surprised it didn't do too well over there - they should have called it America, then it would have been a big hit!
Miss you all
xxx