Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shopping in Cancun

The Day we arrived in Mexico we were met by Mt T, the Manager of the condo. He was incredibly helpful in terms of local knowledge. We chose to stay in a condo in the Hotel Zone. Cancun was developed about 30 years ago purely as a tourist area. It had been a fishing village on swampy ground. Now the hotel Zone serves as a very popular holiday destination and a great employment provider for the locals.

It is very expensive to travel by taxi within the zone and expensive to eat there too. Mt T took Uncle T, Jo and I on the bus to the Chedraui supermarket - a few meters outside of 'The Zone' and many dollars cheaper. The bus ride was about $6USD for the 9 of us, a taxt would have been about $20-. We got very used to catching the bus up and down the hotel strip.




We also visited a few flea markets, mostly outside the zone. Haggling was fun for the boys and they got us some good deals. But for Jo and I it was frustrating, I wished they'd just tell me the REAL price, I'd pay then we'd all be happy. But if you pay the price they say at first you can never be sure you are not paying too much. We bought jewlery that started off at $800USD and we ended up paying $300USD so it pays to be terrier like in your determination to beat the price down...did we still pay too much? We'll see when one day we take the jewlery to a jewler and are told it is all tin and plastic!!




Uncle T, and the toilets!! Of course.


J looked so funny in this mask.



"YES! I am Nacho, the Luciadore, you might have seen me on TV"



"Yes I am W, the woman, You might have seen me on the beach"

No comments: