Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Short Beach

Today we drove to Stratford (Conecticut)to collect the pieces of pottery that the children made during their 5 weeks of pottery classes. We had a little picnic lunch in the back yard and had planned to leave and meet some friends here at the pool. Upon checking with said friends I discovered they could not make it so when one of the other mum's mentioned going to the local beach we decided to give it a try. The other mum's were not going to go for about 3 hours, no good for us beacsue we had no where to kill 3 hours and have an hour drive home from there any way, so we went straight there. You can tell by the photos that it is not much of a beach, plus it cost us $5- to enter since we are not residents of that area. The beach was rocky and shelly, the edge was slimy with sea weed and the botton was completely covered with thousands of little hermit crabs. I know exactly what they were despite conjecture and conversation to the contrary...becuase I picked some up and checked them out, and one of them became interested in my foot and tried to climb on board. It was so shallow for hundreds of meters, the sand was black and M is covered with tiny bites from what ever lives in the sand, having covered himself repeatedly in it.

But the worst part of the afternoon was all my fault, I completely forgot the sunscreen (now how can I possibly forget such a matter or routine, well I just thought "oh I'll do it in a minute" and then started talking to the mum of the children my chidlren befriended and then forgot all about it). I have a sun burn, mine is worse than the children - but they are a little red too. I am such a dummy and quite annoyed at myself. We have been to the pool nearly every day and not one tiny red spot on any one, one afternoon at the beach and kaboom! Of course it did serve to show the children that there is a purpose for putting on the sun screen and now I will have less of a fight on my hands when I insist upon it.

That is my one sun mistake of the season, not to be repeated for another year at least.



No comments: