Monday, August 18, 2008

Shakespear

D and I went to see the Hudson Valley Shakespear Festivals performance of Twelth Night last Friday night. We had planned a picnic dinner with our friends from West Point. The festival is held at a place called Boscobel - an historic home on the Hudson River opposite West Point. The plan is have a picnic, take in the view then move under the tent for the performance. Well, the gods were conspiring against me.

I had been waiting a year for this event, last year I went with members of the New Residents Club and have been looking forward ever since to be able to go with D this year. Then on Monday D's work decided that he had to go back to Djibouti and would have to leave on thursday so he'd miss the play(play off). Then on Tuesday a General decided he needed D to sit behind him at a Security Council meeting, so he was repreived from the Djibouti trip(play back on). On Wednesday the Security Council meeting was postponed, D kept very quite not wanting to draw attention to the fact he could now make the Djibouti trip (play still on). On Thursday he was committed to a meeting taking place on Friday from 3 to 5 pm, we had to leave home at 5pm! (play doubtful). Friday morning, he organised an early departure from the meeting and I'd collect him from the station at 5pm (play back on), Friday afternoon massive thunderstorms hit Westchester County and headed north, picnic cancelled, rearanged to meet at friends house and eat dinner before the play...1 hour drive became 2 hours in bad weather and traffic.

We did make it to our friends house, ate our 'picnic' at their dining table then headed across the river to Boscobel. Got into the tent just as the play started, missed the first musical number, but nothing of importance to the play.

I love this sort of theatre, shame about the picnic, because that is really part of the whole experience, but at least we did get to spend a few hours with our friends and we all enjoyed the play alot.

So, next year....

1 comment:

Chervil said...

That is one neat tent you got there! I wouldn't mind camping with such great gear, although I do share your preference for a real bed... Hope you will have loads of fun on your trip.