I am going to write about my washing machine so that you can all send positive energy thoughts in our direction. Today marks 4 weeks since the machine last worked. Now Whirlpool (tell everyone you know how appaling their quality and service is in New York)are perfectly happy for me to wait until May 15th for another (fourth official) technician to come here so that he can determine what parts (fourth time parts will be ordered) require ordering. Then given the time frames we have been dealing with so far they are happy for me to wait another two weeks for those parts to be installed and then if the machine does not work they might consider replacing the machine, but only if the technician personally calls them from the premises and tells them that he can't fix the machine. Call me a sceptic but given the fact that the previous technicians have been unable (with three oportunities) to a.determine what is wrong b.order the correct parts and c. fix the machine, I am not feeling confident. Now, the machine is under waranty, so only whilrpool approved techs can come to fix it, but they get paid just for turning up, about $150- just to turn up in fact. Why would they admit to being unable to fix it? They would miss out on the call out fee.
After two weeks I complained because I felt that two weeks without a machine, which was brand new in February, was too long. Then the original technician refused to come back because of the way I treated him, you know, complaining that is. Perhaps if he had not shrugged his sholders when I said I was a bit annoyed, and shrugged again when I pointed out that I had laundry from three children and sheets still on the spare bed from my brother's visit, not to mention all the other sheets and towels that were becoming a little in need of laundering, maybe if he had actually said, sorry maybe I would not have been so angry. Of course it occurs to me now that he would not consider actually being civil to a customer as part of his job, I am not paying after all, Whirlpool are and they pay what ever the outcome. Whirlpool, with their fabulous service then scheduled another tech from another company for 11 days later, given that I was sobbing on the phone, actually (embarassingly) uncontrollably not even pretending, they might have recognised that perhaps the repair company may have been a bit at fault, but no, they punished my complaining by making me wait another 11 days.
What is scary (and I apologise if I cause any offence) is that this attitude is rife in this country. From the local walmart and craft store I get the same 'don't care' attitude and I loath going to those stores unless I know exactly what I need and where it is localted in the store - god help me if I need to a. find a staff member or b.ask where something is located).
I think I feel it so much more strongly because I have done their job before, albeit in a different industry. And I know that at the end of the day, I could honestly say I had done all that I could to fix what ever problem the customer came to me with. Perhaps I cared too much, perhaps I was alone in caring sometimes, certainly most of the people I worked with, I felt, were trying as hard as I was. An exapmple. A unofficial technician organised by the land lord comes on friday (his second vist) and is unable to fix the machine, so his manager authorises overnight shipping of what ever parts he feels he needs. The parts are NOT over nighted, I call today to see what is happening and I am told they don't over night parts. I explained that a manager authorised this with the tech. Now I (me that is) would have found a manager, asked about it, found out who the tech was, called them to see what had been promised and then I would have persued the overnight shipping promise with a view to having it delivered. But the stock answer is "we use 2 day UPS delivery" which means even though I am clear about what was said to me, it is not the policy so in the mind of the fellow on the phone, it could not have happened and I am wrong so there is no need to investigate or validate my claim.
Thank goodess for Jess (5 loads at her house), Maria (5 loads at her house) and of course the Land lords who have done at least that many loads as well. I have a pile of 'non' essential clothes needing washing, chair covers that really need to be washed (usually I do them every two weeks at least), bathroom mats, towels, sheets on every ones beds, and clothes that actually we do need. I love that my friends have helped and continue to help but I am begining to get very (ooooh, nearly wrote a swear word) cheesed off.
So, send out some positive energy in this direction, give your washing machine a hug and remember that it really is a vital piece of kit. These days we are just not equipped to wash sheets, towels and lots of clothes by hand so be kind to your machines!
Monday, May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Awww. That is a sad and sorry state of affairs. We'll work out a way to help out or do rosters if we need to.
ch
All I can send is some positive energy and my thoughts! Interesting attitude, indeed. I do hope the problem will get fixed very soon...
Hi. Wow, what a tale! I'll tell everyone I know. And (as an American) I'm not offended that you find that attitude is permiating the country, rather, I'm saddened that we can't step up and be the great people we proclaim to be, but I would say that it (bad service/uncaring corporations/ridiculous protocols) isn't an American phenomenon. One day I'll blog about my experience in obtaining my Australian citizenship. That, too, was an exercise in futility and I nearly brought out the white flag. Anyway, I hope it felt good to document your troubles. I hope you wrote to the company. I hope you copied the media. All the best - go burn a candle! WLC.
Post a Comment