Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Lord of the Rings

Throughout April and May I read aloud to the Children The Lord of the Rings. In March I read The Hobbit just to see if they'd be interested, they loved it. So, I ordered the Trilogy - it came in one volume and was huge.

We read almost every day. In all sorts of places and situations, on the train platform, in the train, in the garden, at the hair dressers, in our readig chair in the lounge room and here, in J's room whilst she was doing some art project - the boys and I squished in and we read in there.



Then I ordered the extended version of each movie on Netflix and we watched 9 hours (over 6 nights) of The Lord of the Rings. Fantastic. I was impressed with their attention, interest and the breadth of discussion which ensued during and after the reading. We wanted to do some more, but had to take a little break since we were all so invlove with our friends in the story...plus it is a heck of a read aloud effort I have to say.

In June we read The Tale of Desperaux and then saw the movie. We were a little dissapointed with some of the changes made to the story and felt that sticking closer to the book would have made a better tale. Then we voted to give it a 4/5 on netflix - another good discussion about why they might have made the changes.

What is next? not sure, although they are keen for Harry Potter....so we'll see.

1 comment:

Chervil said...

Funny coincidence - G has just finished the Harry Potter books we hvae in the house (we still have to buy the last one) and has moved on to Lord of the Rings. He is now reading book 3. I haven't let him watch the Lord of the Rings movies though, although he is very keen to do so. Better not tell him that you guys have watched them all, otherwise he won't speak about anything else for weeks to come...