I am having trouble believing that we have been here for a year, it is infact almost the exact time we landed in NYC on Friday 8th (yes I know today is the 7th - but it was a Friday) last year. It is dark and cold like that night, but it is also snowing - again.
I have mixed feelings aboug being here, any of you who have been reading for the whole length of my blog will have no doubt read the ups and downs of my emotional state. Although the blog was intended as a way to keep folks at home in touch with what we were doing and allow our friends and families to see our children growing whilst we were away. It has also served as an outlet at times for my frustration, sadness and anger. Of course it has also been a place to record all of the happy times and warm occaisions spent with friends and the wonderful opportunites we are experiencing as a family.
Maybe we have two years to go, maybe it is only one, I am rather frustrated that even here the uncertainty of Army life is haunting me, I am so over that it is just not funny any more, I actually think I have stopped the hysterical laugh when discussing my uncertain future and inability to make even short term goals for myself. Now I think I just display a nervous tick and curl of the lip!
Once in Rome D and I had a particularly stressful cuple of days, when the train finally pulled out of the station on our way back to the UK I decided that we needed to find 10 great things about our stay in Rome because it would be a shame to leave it with negative thoughts. So....
Ten great things about this year (I have not thought of them yet, so we'll see how I go).
1. We have renewed our friendship with the folks at West Point, spending time with them has been a huge hightlight of this year.
2. We have made new friends, who are loads of fun.
3. We went to J and L's wedding in the UK, could not have afforded for us all to go from OZ.
4. We were able to see our Swiss friends again - hoping it won't be 10 years until the next time.
5. We have a very nice house - unless it floods again in which case we will be finding a NEW very nice house.
6. We are living with snow, which is actualy quite nice.
7. We have been to Niagara Falls.
8. We have been to Braodway, Central Park, Grand Central Station, viewed the Stature of Liberty from a boat, toured NYC in the top of a bus (as well as London and Paris).
9. We visited Washington DC and stayed with Australian friends - which was SOOOO nice.
10. We have a GPS in our car, which has saved my/our lives on occasion and made travel so much easier.
OK, so that was not too hard, I imagine I could actually keep going.
Exciting times are ahead and 2008 will be so much better because we won't have the stress of arriving, finding a house finding EVERYTHING and dealing with school. We are also expecting some visiting family and friends towards the second half of the year which will be superb. If any one knows some one who would like to come over for a few months and be our Nanny, let me know. (I am quite serious)
Oh, and one more thought, I am rather impressed that I have managed to keep this up by the way, I really had my doubts when my friend showed me how to start the blog and how to do stuff, I have proven to be more dedicated than even I imagined. I hope that you have been enjoying it - I have no idea how many people look at it, or how often.
Friday, December 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hi Julia
I have been reading your blog throughout the year! I can fully understand your mixed feelings. Somehow I think moving around and living in new environments works better when you are a young person just setting out for life. With family and kids, it tends to become far less attractive, especially when you yourself are not the one that is in charge of what changes are coming your way! Nevertheless, it sounds like you have had lots of interesting and exciting experiences in New York, and I very much hope that the second year will bring more fun for you all!
Oh Sweetie! Your emotions come through so well in your writing. I can relate to it all. If only blogs existed when I was first here in Sydney.... I started my WendEmail's back then, but have probably lost most of them in computer crashes and the like. Perhaps I can go back in my archives to see, but I'm afraid they're gone. How nice to have this record....
Post a Comment