
D was placed on a Management Development Course through work and the course was held at the Glen Cove Mansion. This home was built in 1910 by Mr and Mrs Pratt (whoever they were) and is modelled on the great English country houses of the time.
In 1967 it became a motel. It is very nice, the house is lovely, the grounds are amazing, the service was outstanding and the food fabulous. It is the second best food we have eaten in America (apart from the food we cook ourselves of course). The best being at the Gormet Fish restaurant in East Chester.
D organised for the 4 of us to join him on Thursday afternoon, the children were very excited. We had a swim in the indoor pool, a couple of walks and a play in the gardens. It was very cold and drizzled rain most of the time but we had a great time.
When you enter the front door there is a rectangle foyer, then two pillars ar the base of the stairs which are on both the left and right, you walk through the middle of the stairs to enter the back of the house, dining room etc. The stairs join half way up and turn to go the rest of the way, this is where we are standing. The upper floor has been turned into meeting rooms and the very top floor a pub!


The Autumn colours are just beautiful, the photos don't really do them justice but this gives you an idea of what they look like. I do like them and it is very pretty (these colours are on Long Island but the trees around home are just as lovely) but I really do not like the arrival of the freezing weather and the morning frost!


The children are standing in leaves, they are no kneeling, the leaves are up to their knees.





The beach - the destination of our walk. It was very cold, raining and windy but still nice to see the see. This is Long Island Sound, we are on the North Shore of Long Island.


The trees on the estate are magnificent and many of them were just begging to be climbed, so they were. I had to restric the height of the climb, I am so not going to the Emergency room and I am afraid I tend to curtail anything that might take me there. I think the children still enjoyed finding hand holds and foot holds and laying back in these lovley trees.








The grounds are immense and the children had a great time; running, rolling and, doing cartwheels of course.




No comments:
Post a Comment