I was just typing an email to my friend T in Melbourne and started to say how this winter we have been so busy and thought I might just type these thoughts here as well.
Last winter was a good time to stay inside, do lots of 'school' work and keep on top of the rest of my life. We did go skiing for that one week and we started co-op. This year however has been hectic, we have been out so much and so busy when at home that we really could almost be unschoolers...how exciting.
The difference is because we have FRIENDS... The first winter the children were at school of course, we did not really have any friends and we were so depressed at the cold that we just stayed indoors when ever we had the chance. If we did venture out, we were always alone, because no one else around here does any thing in the winter it seems.
Last week I was out every day, Monday the chn had Music, then we went to vitit K and H and we all went sledding for two hours (that was the biggest hoot I have had in a while and I left the camera at home, drat) On Tuesday we went to P and P's house and the chn made and ate Pizza whist 3 of us mum's watched the inauguration of President Obama. On Wendesday we had Co-op, Thursday we went skiing and Friday we went to the city to see a show at the New victory theatre - Jason and the Argonaughts.
We have been going to Cranberry Lake Preserve for Nature presentations and walks with the home schoolers, skiiing, skating, sledding and playing with friends and all of these things have taken us to the great American outdoors in winter time and we have all had such a fabulous time.
On the hike ar co-op I have learned to identify coyote and rabbit tracks, oh and also little mouse tracks. Since then I have been able to identify the rabbit tracks in the snow in the garden and something with padded feet, but I don't think it was coyote, possibly fox, maybe cat or the little dog that lives behind us. So I am not the great white tracker just yet, but I know more than I did last winter.
A couple of weeks ago, just afer D left for his 21/2 weeks in Africa I started to feel the familiar lack of motivation, lethargy and melancholy which accompanies short dreary days, cold windy weather and a long NY winter. It was a bit of an effort to shake it off, but I reminded myself we'd soon be seeing the sun again in Adelaide and Canberra. That time has almost arrived, thank goodness - since this Wednesday (co-op was cancelled due to the weather) I shovelled the driveway for 4 hours, I am still sore all over from that experience and I am really hoping that it was the last time for this winter...really hoping.
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment