We had a psycho passenger experience on the train this afternoon. We had been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art - next post! and boarded the 4.23 train home. It was almost full but I found 3 seats together for the children and I stood alongside. The other person in the section was clearly very put out that we had sat with her and prompty lost her ticket, when I tried to help her (she was sh t... sh t...and clearly concerned about something) she told me off, told me it was not christmas and I should just worry about myself. I told her that obviously here in New York I should remember not to try to help any one. She really carried on and the chn were quite terrified, they hardly made a peep. Then she said 'would some one please stand up I've lost my train ticket' J stood up becasue clearly someone was her. I asumed that now she was speaking to me and I looked about for the ticket When I noticed it on the floor under her seat I pointed it out - she was so angry that she could hardy speak and spat words at me to mind my own business etc etc. Raised eye brows and smiles from others on the train let me know that she was a bit dotty and perhaps not all New Yorkers are like this.
After most of the journey I was able to move us all to another seat. She prompty got up to go to the toilet and looking in distress was offered help from another passenger - they were sorry and we could all hear her carrying on at the other end of the carraige, the children looked at me with big eyes and J asked if that was still the angry lady? The poor person who had tried to help the second time was quite upset. We had a bit of a laugh about it afterwards because I guess she was realy cranky that by sitting in the seat next to her we made it very difficult (after her outbursts at us) to go to the loo, by the time she got the chance she was really busting and not in the mood for another good samaritan, the chn and I had a good laugh about it but they were rather concerned that someone would be so mean to them. - Ah, the pleasures of peak hour train travel in NYC.
Friday, October 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
How scary. Glad you could laugh about it afterwards!
Post a Comment