Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow Day








Today we had our very first 'Snow Day', this means that schools are closed, the weird thing was, actualy there were two weird things, so the first one first. We recieved the phone call to tell us that school was cancelled for the day at 5:38am. Now I am not sure who gets up at that time in fact who would be ready for school at that time. I am imagining hundreds of Sc... school district children waiting at home, bursting with eagerness for the school day to start, reeling with disapointment at the 5:30 am call (the call to my mobile was registered at 5:28am.) So, clearly they have to get that call off as early as possible, would not want to miss any one. My first thought was "oh goodness" (really that is what I thought), someone from Australia has got the time difference wrong. Then, I began to speak to the caller, after saying at least three things like "oh, thanks so much, ok, thank you..." I realised it was a recorded message and hung up on them. The next call woke me at 8am (best thing about a snow day is the sleep in), this was from M's school and much more civilised hour it was too.

The other weird thing is that it did not snow. It should have been called an Ice Rain day. It rained little tiny drops if ice all day, incessently. It was very odd. It has settled deeper than any of the snow has so far, on the back porch it is about 17 cm deep (D - the fitter and turner estimated that measurment and I have to tell you he is usually pretty acurate), and has blocked the door from opening, I imagined having to escape that way by using a karate kick to burst through the fly screen. Unfortunately I have not had to escape the house today so could not try the planned Karate Kick. I thought it would be kind of cool but it is probably a good thing that I did not have to try it. I know that you are wondering for what reason I may have needed to escape. Well, I will say only this. I was in the house all day with three children. Ahh, now you see!

D has been out the front this evening scraping the ice off of the front steps, we don't want the post man to litigate against us, should he slip while delivering our mail. Apparently D is now scraping ice out the back, darn it, no need to try the Karate kick at all now! Well I hope it is him, or else something else is making alot of noise out there!!!

To fill the day and keep the children away from the TV for a few hours this morning we made heart shaped biscuits (it is valentines day), some with cinamon and sugar, some with chocolate - the chocolate spreading was W's job, he said "wow, this is a big responsibility" and proceeded to have a great time dribbling chocolate on the biscuits, presentation left a little to desire, but they have all been consumed so I guess they tasted ok. There is a huge bunch that look a little weird (ooops, that is the third weird thing) so I have to ice them to disguise them.

Then we made chocolate hearts, W's job was to put the 100's & 1000's into the mould before I poured the chocolate, this aparently was not such a big responsibility...

Then my new friend M and her two children came for a few hours, we drank decafinated coffee and tea (I know, such a reckless thing to do on a snow day - we probably would have had wine except for the fact that had to drive home in the ice) and the children played and watched movies.

For dinner tonight we had a fondue, it was kind of weird (eeek, fourth weird thing) I used Jarlsberg (closest to Gruyere that I had) and a mixture of pre-grated cheese that included mozzerella, it was kind of stringy like a pizza. Every one ate it though, even Mr Fussy aka M. J decided after eating about 10 pieces of cheese dip bread that she did not like it, she is so funny (was going to say weird, but did not want to over do it. Our special treat was cherry cordial chocolates that I bought last week for Valentines day, they came in a huge heart shaped box but were a little disapointing which was a shame since I had been looking forward to them all week.

Oh, I nearly forgot, the children made valentines cards too, M made one for his best friend J in OZ, so we are going to post that tomorrow. He did "writing" on it to, line slopes up = I love, line slopes down = you j, next line up = from M....

M has gymnastics tomorrow I will try to remember the camera.

Cheers

J

1 comment:

Possum said...

Miss J is looking more grown up every time I see her face!!!
Glad you survived your first snow day.
VERY weird about the timing of the phone-call. Just VERY weird.
Big hugs for your beautiful kids.
Love & cuddles,
C.
xxx