Sunday, February 4, 2007

Positively Optimistic

AHHH positivity, I remember a course I did with my Team Manager colegues at Telstra many years ago - because I am so old now! We had to pass around our name cards and each of us had to write something nice about every one else, I dilegently came up with 12 or so supportive comments about my team mates. When I got my card back at least 8 people had written that I was a positive person (I knew that my positivity and optimism drove most of them crazy because they were old and grumpy and hated that Telstra was changing). Any way, at the time I realised they probably could not think of anything to say, so copied the first person with just a few changes to make their comments look original. I looked upon this as a positive thing (there you see I am a positive person).

It is with this in mind that I embark upon this post, I WILL now write ten great things about living in New York (as opposed to being HOME):

1:The snow is exciting for all of us not just the children.
2:The hallway of this house is long and has a wooden floor which means it is great for running battery opperated vehicles, running up and down in little bare feet and easy to clean.
3:I have two ovens - say no more, I am in baking heaven.
4:I have 4 new coats (only one still has the tags on, but I am sure to wear it soon).
5:We have Stella - our GPS, it is imperative to name them and since she has a female voice she has a girls name, also stella is 'of the stars' which makes sense and as M pointed out, Stella has stars her. The greatest thing about Stella is that she does not yell at us if we make a mistake, take the wrong turn or go straight past our destination.

(oh boy - only 5 so far)

6:We have wireless broadband, OMG how did I live with dial up for 10 years! Never again.
7:M's school is lovely, he has also started Gym and is making friends, such good news. I am positive that J and W will recieve good educatonal outcomes from our sojourn here and all will be well - now I am venturing into optimism.
8:We are closer to the UK and my Brother and Sister inlaw and baby nephew will be visiting in two weeks - Yipee!
9:I know that my children are incredibly healthy due to the hundreds of dollars we have paid to the pediatrician for medical exams also I can now confidently send them to participate in physical activity knowing that the Doctor said it was ok, thank goodness for that - imagine all of you in Australia without that peace of mind (did I mention sarcasm).

(phew - only one to go - just joking this is the best one)

10:Since coming to New York I have made some new friends, my Kiwi mate saves my life everyday with a laugh and a smile and some encouraging words. My new Aussie friend helps to keep life in perspective and remind me that I am not alone nor experiencing this new world in a vacume. The Japanese ladies who have welcomed me into their circle and introduced me to sushi, with roe and eel and with salmon and lemon and Miso soup made by her mum (which takes a year aparently). And D who has no gartden to work in and has returned to housely duties of cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, sweeping and washing floors.

It is with optimism I look forward now to enjoying our time here, we are planning some broadway adventures, a visit upstate to Thomas the Tank Engine and a trip to Mexico as well as a trip to the UK and some of Europe for J and L's wedding in July. I know in my heart that W will be ok in school, he has grown up so much and I am so proud of him. I will be truely happy here when all three of my babies are happy and settled and coping with school, that is not too much to ask.

No comments: