Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

Happy Easter. I hope those Chadians appreciate having my husband for Easter - though I am sure they don't because they either don't know he is there, or don't want him there or don't care either way!! Sadly it seems his work in Chad will be for naught because the President wants the UN out completely and the weeks of negotiations have not swayed him. Now Chad is home to thousands of refugees and hundreds of humanitarian workers and the big question is who is going to keep them safe? That is why the UN has been there all this time and there is going to be no one to replace them - can Chad do it? Lets hope so.

On a brighter note, there are sure and plentiful signs of spring showing their welcome faces all around us. The 10 day forcast for the first time yesterday showed 10 days without precipitation of some kind and temps over 15C every day. The chipmunks are back and scurrying around, the geese are back, the birds of every kind are back, their absence of past weeks marked by the return of ever present chirping that had been missing for so long. It is a bit tricky at this time of year to be really excited about the end of winter because we can easily have a set back. I am quietly optimistic though...oh I do hope it is over.

I'll check for the birds nest soon to see if the mummy has returned to lay more eggs, also I hope to get some photos of the first buds, it is such a wonderful time and you know it is all because Persephone is back from the underworld and her mother has stopped weeping and started renewing and planting the earth. True story!


Easter Morning:
This is the biggest jar of Jelly Beans I have ever seen - thanks to costco and a coupon they were only $15- (this is Grandma's gift to the children). They do not have Easter Eggs here like we have at home. They have small ones for egg hunts, ususally filled with something, they have chocolate bunnies and such but no hollow eggs of any description - well not that I have ever found here (nor in Louisiana).



And the Hunt is on. The EB told me there were 170 hidden eggs, the children managed to find 157 of them and I found 9 - that means somewhere in the house are 4 more hidden eggs, we'll probably find them when we leave, I have no idea where they are!








The division of the loot! 52 each and 10 for me(and daddy) - though to be honest there will be a nice size bag of them going into DPKO next week!! My poor children never get to eat all of their Easter chocolate or Haolloween candy - can you imagine? I would like to do away with all of it, but can't quite bring myself to take it out of their life alltogether.


The first thing down range this morning was a Jelly Bean, even fore me! Well I did have a mandarine first, then a Jelly bean then my daily dose of fruit and yogurt. The chn started with a Jelly Bean, then I made them Chocolate chip pancakes with chocolate ice cream!! what was that I said about cutting it out all together, oh well, they have never had them before, and they won't be having them again (well at least until next Easter - so there, I don't feel so bad after all).

3 comments:

ch said...

Hi yall! We had pancakes too, but not choccy ones! Great idea. L&A got so much chocolate this year, more than usual. We ended up crumbling it up on our breakfast cereal, using it in hot chocolates and then melted the remainder down for a chocolate mousse just to see the end of it. Glad to see the back of it, and the crazy behaviour that goes with it : )
ch xox

ch said...

Woah. I had just posted the above comment when we felt an earth tremor here!! Ggoing to bed now and will find out the news in the morning (nearly midnight now).

ch

Wendy Lloyd Curley said...

Hi. Just popped in to say hello. Sorry I haven't written in awhile. Been very busy being a candle lady. :)

When I was a child, our easter egg hunts were either for real honest to goodness hard boiled egs, or plastic eggs that came apart to reveal some sort of toy or candy. But then again, I grew up in Arizona and chocolate eggs would have melted completely in March/April - the most beautiful time to be in Arizona.

It's been absolutely beautiful here in Sydney for the last month. Perfect weather. I'm sure winter will come soon enough, but I absolutely love autumn - I get confused actually at this time of year - not sure if it will get hotter or colder in the next season - the problem with being from both hemispheres.

Well - with ANZAC Day this weekend, I have a rare weekend of no candle parties. Looking forward to spending time with my husband... so I'd better got off the computer! Have a great day. Can't wait to see you later in the year. WLC.