Sunday, October 12, 2008

The big one...well the biggest so far.



So much has happened in the last threee weeks, but now we are home and I hope to have some time to update the blog. For now, let me make some comment about my big milestone recently reached. For my second birthday in Florida, who would have thought that we'd ever go there again, let alone at the same time.

Quick update since my mind is rambling....In 2000 when W was a baby and Grandma came to visit us in Louisiana we spent a week in Destin Florida and it just happened to coincide with my 32'd birthday, now 8 years later....

We have just returned from "two weeks away and I still have sand in my shoes"....(is that how the words go?)

Any way, I turned 40 in Florida....there it is out...big breath.

How do I know I am really 40...

1. My first work out on the Beast today and I had to change my age to 40... I am actually ok about it, feeling quite good at how I look, feel and all the things I have done in the last 40 years. Really hoping that I am only now at the half way point, the first 40 went too fast, I still have quite a bit to get done and do hope that I have another 40 years to fit it all in.

2. Went to a really cool bar/restaurant in Cancun, Senor Frogs...so fun, they tip Tequilla down your throat for free, make every one dance on their chair, do conga lines and so on and so on....and I stayed sober!

I have thought about what I might say about turning 40, and I wanted to reasure myself that I have not wasted too much of those years, so I did a mental tally of all the things I have done....Given that I am not a 'career girl', chose to stay home with our children and now home school them, sometimes I feel that perhaps there should be something else I should be doing...so...

worked 14 months at coles
worked 4 years at NAB
Worked 3 months at Scotch College
Went to Uni for 4 1/2 years - Flinders and James Cook
Worked for the Advance Bank for 1 year
Worked for Telstra for 4 1/2 years
Spent 8 years in the ARES
Did a massage course for 1 year
Spent 2 years volunteering for the Spastic Centre of SA
Volunteered at the DCC for 3 years
Volunteered at the Fort Polk OSC for 4 months
Volunteered for DFA for 18 months
Spent just over 2 1/2 years pregnant
Breast fed for 3 1/2 years

(37 years so far...I'm not counting the 13 (incl prep/kindi) at school

D and I have been together for 17 years (married 15 in Dec). We have lived in 4 Australian states in 7 houses and 2 US states in 2 houses, in that time. That means 8 moves!

Together we have visited 7 countries (not counting the US)and 10 US states.

During the (almost) 15 years of our marraige we have been apart for about (conservative estimate) 3 years and 8 months. The longest without seeing each other was 4 months, before that there were two lots of 3 months. A week is nothing, even two weeks is nothing, I giggle when I hear people 'freaking out' cos their husband is away over night for work or even that they have to work late, how lucky they are.

Some cool stuff I have done:
Married D (still congratulating myself on that one)
Became a mum...three amazing times.
Fired a 50mmSRAAW and hit the target.
Threw live grenades and fired an M60 Machine Gun
Swam with dolphins (twice :-))
Flew in a C130 Hercules
Met and chatted with Gill Rolton
Swam in the Caribean Sea
Swam in a Cenote
Fox hunted (when it was still PC - so a long time ago) on my pony
Rode an Andelusian
Got rained on by Niagara Falls
Sailed around the Whitsunday Islands
Took my children to visit the Eifel tower
Hiked in the Swiss Mountains
Caught a train from Rome to Pompai
Got snowed on at the England Scotland Border
Failed to kiss the Blarney stone :-(
Skiied with my husband in children in Vermont
Cooked my Gran a Thai Green Chicken Curry
Walked/ran up Castle Hill in under an hour
Scuba dived
Rode in an Amish Buggy
Spent a Year as Miss SA and once gave a five minute speach totally from my head, since it was sprung on me at the last minute
Made my own roman blinds...well I think it is a cool thing...

And now I have to go and get a make over from my daughter and my neice, so have to leave it at there...perhaps I can add another photo to match the before shot above...

2 comments:

ch said...

Ahh look at you! Pretty bloody good for 40!! I didn't know about the massage course.
That carnival b'day was OTT. What lucky children.
We went to a lavish wedding last week, on the Belarine Pen. There was a good 5 mins of fireworks at the end of the night, bigger than almost anything here in Adelaide (with the exception of Skyshow).
Sounds like you have been having a great time. I'm really pleased. The camping trips - great family times. note to self "must get our own tent".
Love to all.
Ch xox

Chervil said...

Congratulations to your birthday! 40 is a fine age, nothing to worry about.

I hope you will bring the newspaper article with you when you come to visit Oz next time - would love to see it!

We are officially registered now - loads of preparation and some ongoing paperwork, but I like it to be official, and now I can tell all those people who forever ask "are you qualified?" "are you allowed to do this?" that all has the official stamp of approval... I recently found out that one of my cousins (who is married to American and lives in New York!) is also homeschooling!!!

Hope all is well - I tried to send you a couple of emails a little while back but both came back. I will try to send you another email soon.

All the best - Chervil