Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Pool, Movie, Bathing suits

This is longer than I thought, and I keep changing the subject in a hysterical kind of way. I have not even been drinking, but part of me would like to very much. No photos this time, lots of words, but now I am going to post just photos.

We have made a number of visits to the pool so far this summer, I have not taken many photos because I was worried that I would be arrested, you just never know in this country quite what would be deemed offensive. I finally got the courage to take out the camera on a very quiet pool day and snap a few of our angels enjoying the water. They happen to be in the baby pool at this time but we spent time in all three pools. We were there for almost 5 hours yesterday so today we kept inside most of the day and managed a bit of tidying up. W spent ages on the computer making friends in Webkinz cyber land and J completed 4 of her Girls craft club activities, I think she is up to date now. M had a little nap this afternoon after a big day yesterday and Gymnastics this morning I guess he was a little tired out.

The biggest excitment of the day is that the SMOKER arrived. Any one who knows anything about our last visit to the states when we lived in Louisiana probably knows that Doug became a bit of a fan of smoking his own food. Well it has taken 7 months this time, but finally on a quiet day at work he searched ebay, did some research and acquired himself a smoker. Now we will be in for smoked food at every opportunity. This one is a little different to the huge one at home, it is an upright and a little smaller that the other one. I expect though, that he has made sure of its ability to smoke at least 4 chooks at a time.

Speaking of chooks, did you know that we are the only people on earth who call chickens chooks? I have said it a number of times here and I am looked at oddly by Americans, Israili's and Brit's alike. It is just one of those things I had not considerd would be a cultural barrier, but there you go. I just have to remember to say chicken! Oh there is another one but I amnot sure if I have told you about me asking the fish man about a good fish to CRUMB, he thought I was crazy until I explained what you do and he said "oh, you mean breading"...no actually I meant crumbing, but I just laughed, he laughed and now he always remembers the crumbing lady. Is that a good thing?

I went to see a movie on tuesday night, it was the anniversary of mum passing and I actually did not connect with the date until after the movie. I know that sounds strange but each year it kind of creeps up on me, which I have to say is a good thing. The first year I stumbled into depression about a month before the date and took at least that long to climb out of it after. So, the last two years whilst I never forget it, I don't actually spend days crying any more.

Any way, back to the movie. It is called 'Evening' and has Toni Collettem Claire Danes, Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep, Glen Close, Hugh Dancey, Patrick Wilson - amazing. The story is (and here is the 'connection') was about a woman dying, her two daughters are with her when she calls out to a fellow they have never heard of, then it is her memories as she dreams about the past. It is about the daughters spending her final days with her and about discovering there is a past to your mother that you never knew about. It was a bit sad as she was certain she had made a big mistake, that she had let an opportunity go by and had paid for that for the rest of her life (I am trying to be a little criptic here so that I don't give too much away for those who may sish to see it). She quite desparately wants to go back. I was I must say a little moved. I have lots of questions for my mum, it is not quite every day now, since I am used to not being able to ask them, but it is often and it is so damned frustrating. I was also envious of these women being able to spend those days with their mother whilst being cogniscent of the fact that we to often wait until it is too late to have those converstions.

A couple of the women who I saw the movie with were very dismissive of the story, the emotion, the experience was totally lost on them. One of the ladies was quite sad and another said to her "whats wrong with you? Is your mother dead"? I was pretty amazed that some one could be so insensitive, but I am finding I have less and less in common with some of these people to whom I first turned to when I arrived as a basis for making friends. I decided to take the offer of a lift straight home rather than staying with my ride for a drink at the pub. I came home and went to bed, but of course could not sleep much with the million questions and memories zooming around in my head. I was looking forward to disecting the movie at the pub, but really did not want to have to deal with them after their comments.

This week we have been looking at space, the children actually know quite a lot about our solar system so we did some crosswords, wordfinds and I asked W to write me a story. He wrote about a monster who ate him and his space ship, THE END. He could do so much better but he is angry with me because I keep asking him to write stuff. He really needs to practice his writing and of course he does not like to do it becasue it is slow and hard work. Ah, well at least he wrote two sentences. Tomorrow morning I hope that we can complete our solar system model, I bought a kit because it was only $9.99 and I did not fancy doing 10 paper mache balls, especially when I wanted to do them to scale. If the Sun was the size of a basket ball, the earth would be a pea and the other inner planets dots on a pin head. So I decided to do the kit and even though it is not to scale it will be quick and fun.

How hard is it to buy a bathing suit? Let me tell you, if you are not a size 8 it is a bloody horrible business. In fact buying clothes is depressing any time when you are not size 8. All the manequins are tiny (specially here were sizes on the manequins are some times 6). The clothes look great on them, so after dragging through the racks or piles for a size 12 or god forbid a 14 (get back hagis) and getting up to 3 children into the change room, somehow the clothes don't resemble the image I still have in my head of the manequin. I have lost almost 3 KG since I began to work at my exercise and stop snacking everytime I made a snack or meal for one of the children, but and here is the saddest thing, shopping for a bathing suit is still nasty. So I order one on line, I measure, and measure then just before hitting the buy now button I measure again to make sure the suit will fit me. It arives and (it was a cheap one but looked ok) IT IS A GRANNY SUIT, Sorry Grandma but I have thought of keeping it and giving it to you, except I am so much taller and it would look pretty odd. It has one of those bra thingy's in it and what is worse the bra thingy wants my boobs to be about two inches lower that the poor things already are. Doug laughed and said it is for Grandma's becasue their boobs are so low!!! Back it goes in the mail tomorrow. No photos of that I can assure you all, just the fear of seeing such a horrific image could be enough to send you all off to the nut house.

So now with that thought in your heads, good night...well not really since I still have to post the photos I promised.

Jxx

No comments: