Wednesday, January 3, 2007

My baby started school today

Having spent weeks worrying about elementary school, I decided on Tuesday that I should try to find a preschool for Mr M, so he and I headed off in the morning to track down a school that I had seen along the road one day. It was full, but he was not really very excited about it any way. Then after a few phone calls I found another one to visit, it is lovely. It is very similar to the program that he was doing at home with similar philosphy about learning through play and child initiated play. He really liked Ms c the director and lay on her floor looking at books. HE started today, he goes to an afternoon session and will be there for 2 1/2 hours every day from 12.15.

He LOVED it. He told his teacher that he wanted to "come to this school every time". He settled right in, no tears, no clinging, just play time. He is very ready to have somewhere special to go just for him and it will be nice if he can make a few friends all of his own. There are about 13 chn in the class and three teachers (sometimes 2). Parents don't do roster but soon I will be able to go in at reading time and read to the children. I think I might take in some books about Australian animals. It is quite $$$$ compared to what we are used to at home, but pretty normal for this area. It is located in a Lutheran Church but does not to be very churchy, just a nice community feel.

No comments: